On my first day of class I was so lost; in that I had no idea what was being said. The kids would ask me a question and I would just stare at them like they were some sort of creature that I've never seen. So what do they do when I don't answer them? They run to me and give me a hug!
One of the little boys I talked about in my previous posts is a bit disruptive during class but I would think that would be expected from a child who receives no love EVER! Well, he walked up to his main teacher and said, "Auntie, I need to wee-wee." She gave him a disappointed look and shewed him out the door. As for me, I'm sure the look on my face as I was trying to make sense of the strange interaction the two of them just had, was more than a little confused. The next thing I see is the little boy outside of our window, laughing and pointing at everyone in the classroom. All of the kids started laughing but the teacher ignored him. Then I see him start to unzip his pants, turn his back to us and take a wee wee! Ohhhh....now it all makes sense. Wait! He is wee-weeing outside, but not only that, he is wee-weeing outside of his own classroom! As strange as it was for me to see this none of the children were even phased by it.
Here's my little "Wee-wee" child...how can you not love him???
A few other words we don't use:
Taffy means candy
Calling someone a Fool or Stupid is one of the worst remarks you can make to a Ghanaian
Bathe is actually a shower here
Pain means hurt (Is your stomach paining you?)
They always say Coca-Cola when referring to Coke. Whenever I say Coke I get an odd look back from the person.
Junior and Senior rather than younger and older (Is your sister your junior or senior?)
Small and Big mean young and old (When I was a smaller person I went to school but now that I am bigger I cannot afford school.)
Auntie and Uncle mean Teacher....in fact, I am referred to by Auntie Sydnee even at home. It's more of a respectful way of referring to someone. Everyone calls Lydia, "Madam Lydia."
When two people are meeting for the first time they say, "Hello Sister/Brother"
The list will go on as I spend more time here. As for right now, I usually pretend to know what is being said to me just by a nod of my head and a smile. Sometimes I may even add a, "ahhh, yeah" and that gets me by. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment