Monday, November 14, 2011

McCarthy Hill School

Well, I was able to spend the first real school day with the children! They are so cute...most of them anyway! They range from pre-school to about 7th grade. Although the level of teaching is much different than it is in the US. In the class I taught today I had kids from age 4 to 7 years of age. They base it more on their skills than they do their age.
My class has the most students and all four of the children from the awful Osu Children's Home are in my class. I was able to pick them out the second I saw them. I feel so sad for these children. They have never felt the love and affection that so many of us take for granted. The fact that we get to bathe whenever we want is such a blessing. The four of them all have rashes and growths on them that no one really cares to help them with. Two of the four have major learning and social problems but no one is there to help them. They are beautiful children lost in such a sad world. I always have to ask myself why am I so blessed? Why do I get to have parents who love me? Why do I get to be healthy? Why do I get to live in America? We truly are blessed beyond words. Even the children who come from a home where they live with a mom and/or dad are still below what we consider the poverty line. Mind you, this school is not cheap. But guess what I get to see every single day when I arrive to school and every time I see these little souls; a huge smile! They never cry or complain. I am so use to children crying or tattle tailing when they don't get their way but not here.
This one is always sick! :(
I brought the kids suckers and they thought they had died and gone to heaven!
You can see in the background of this photo a rash on the little boys legs. His shoes don't fit him so he always has cuts on his toes and the poor guy never gets a bath so all of the other kids tease him. He is also in the picture above with the spaces between his teeth.
A few of my favorites! Yep, I get to have favorites!
Erin, you would be in love with her! Look at how beautiful she is. She is so sweet and always wants to be by my side.
\
Here are my very favorites. The one is so shy but I finally got a smile out of him!
Look at his little legs! I love it!

10 comments:

  1. I Love all of these photos! What beautiful children :) We want to be able to do something as a family for Christmas this year for "your" kids. What is the best thing to do - send you money or gifts? If they need shoes, is that something we can send?

    Maybe we could just send you a box full of deodarant ;)

    These photos of the children just make me so emotional! I can't believe that you're actually there with them!!! You are so freaking amazing, Syd! Love you :) Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - and what does the title of your blog mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excited to follow your adventures abroad. Good luck and it sounds like you're having an amazing experience already. Love the sucker pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very kind of you, Megan. I am not sure what the best gift would be. Let me think about it. The problem with buying shoes is that the older kids take the new shoes from the younger kids at the orphanages. Believe me, deodorant is a waste of money and time here! I'm pretty immune to it now.

    The title means "Follow Your Passion" in Swahili, but Ghanaians don't speak Swahili. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you bring her home with you? See is so beautiful!!! I'm so proud of you, you really are amazing!!! You will get through the homesickness, then you will have to go through it again when you get home. Your going to fall in LOVE with these kids. Thanks for putting this blog together, we have been missing you and this will help!!! Love you Sydnee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need more people like you in this world!! I think it is so wonderful that you are giving of your time and talents to benefit others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pictures! It looks so amazing. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little girl with the cute hair is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Erin. I hope the homesickness goes away sooner than later. Every time I think about all of you guys and Wasatch I have to immediately push the thoughts away or I start to cry. I've vowed not to look at your blogs or FB pages bc it only makes it harder...for now anyway. But please keep updating them for the days I allow myself to be homesick. :)

    I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, Steph, you are far too kind. Believe me, sometimes the things that run through my mind about this whole trip aren't very Christlike. Haha!

    ReplyDelete